Thursday, March 15, 2012

DRAWING LAB #1: CATS IN BED

 I kind of hate drawing practice. Unfortunately I also hate drawing for a few hours, looking at what I've done and realizing that it's all totally wrong.

I really like this book called Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun, because they are, and they do. I'm on a mission to work through these exercises with my blog buddies at Making StuffVinegar and Glitter, and Reports From the Dance Floor.


The first exercise is to do 30 quick sketches of cats on a squishy surface like a mattress. Whee! Then we take one or two of our favorites and work them up a little more. This first little guy really surprised me. This is the exact face of a cat at the moment he leaps up and sinks his claws INTO YOUR LEG.

I feel like I know how to draw cats. I even know how their legs work and stuff, which you wouldn't guess from my sketches. But. They are tricky. They move around and do cat-like things. Good thing I have cats, because my brain totally would not have come up with these kinds of poses.

And then, I had to do another big one, because I felt bad about the evil demon cat. Cats are not all that bad, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment