Saturday, March 24, 2012

NOM NOM GNOME: NETTLE BERRY SMOOTHIE





























After a surprisingly long break, I'd like to announce the return of Nom Nom Gnome - simple, tasty food (with gnomes).

I'm also pleased to announce a less qualified success with nettles. The soup was edible; this smoothie is actually very tasty.

Here's how I make my smoothie:

1 C frozen berries (cherry is my favorite)
1 banana (frozen if you like it extra thick)
1/2 C your favorite milk
1/2 C yogurt (soy is ok)
1/2 C rinsed, packed nettle leaves
1/2 C juice (optional)

Just blend it all up, and drink right away! Yumm. Sweet, and not very nettley, but packed with all those vitamins and green springtime energies.

I also tried nettles in this recipe that I found for a healthy mint chocolate chip shake. It was pretty good, but I would make a few changes. Here's how I would do that:

1/3 C coconut milk, chilled
1/3 C other milk of choice, chilled
1/3 C packed, rinsed nettles (for color and nutrition)
1 frozen, very ripe banana
decent splash of mint extract
heaping tablespoon of chocolate chips (sweeter) or cocoa nibs (healthier)

Blend everything, adding the chocolate at the last minute so it doesn't get completely pulverized.

It's no milkshake, but it's not hard to drink, either.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment