Sunday, April 1, 2012

DRAWING LAB #3: CAT GESTURES


This week the Drawing Lab exercise was gesture drawings. They are just not a strong point for me. I get the idea: you draw fast, and try to capture the shape and movement of the subject, especially something that's not going to stay still for long. It makes sense, but...

I am a line drawer. It's hard for me to shift gears. This first picture is a pretty good example of how not to do gesture drawings. This is what happens if I try to just draw a picture of something with my usual method, except really fast. There's some cattiness there, but...

A few pages later, I was happier with the results. They aren't polished, of course, but there are things I could work with to make a finished piece.

Want more drawing lab? Steph had the clever idea of involving catnip and a child in her modeling session... And Narah has some new blind giraffes up over at Vinegar and Glitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment