Wednesday, April 25, 2012

DRAWING LAB #6: 20 BLACK DOGS

I have to confess that I skipped exercise #5. It was an extension of the zoo assignment, and there was no way I was going to the zoo to draw two weeks in a row. Also, it was about using pencils of lots of different kinds, and I am a horrible pencil snob. Not only do I use mechanical pencils exclusively, I actually turn the point around to use the sharp part of the lead. So.

Exercise six was to quickly draw the same dog in the same pose twenty times. Also, to use a thick black marker on index cards.

As with many of these exercises, I was annoyed at first. I mean, look at my first dog, seriously.

Then I started to think about different things. In figure two, I started drawing the belly line first. I figured it was important for the length and expressiveness of the pose.

In figure three, I started to get more comfortable experimenting with the line weight (more emphasis on the belly line, even - it's important).

As usual, drawing lab is right. For the last few I decided to start with the face, instead. The difference after twenty tries is amazing. Which means that maybe I should get some pencils and go back to the zoo.



Can't get enough marker dogs? Check out Steph's.

No comments:

Post a Comment